CoStar is looking for an experienced and versatile News Editor with strong reporting/writing skills to join our growing news team covering the fast-paced commercial real estate industry. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group one of the top 100 fastest-growing companies in the world.
This hybrid editing/rewriting role requires a highly skilled editor capable of editing news produced by a wide range of contributors, including CoStar’s Research Consultants and Market Analysts as well as Reporters. As News Editor, you will apply journalism principles to restructure and/or rewrite submissions in standard news format featuring engaging headlines, informative introductory paragraphs and a complete, well-rounded account of the news topic for readers, ensuring it is factually accurate, conforms to CoStar’s news standards and is ready for publication.
As part of the news editing team, you will also help enforce copy and style guidelines across all editorial functions and review CoStar’s news coverage for grammar, spelling, usage and style. The ideal candidate will also be familiar with the range of commercial real estate property categories, major business roles and industry players to shape news intended for the CoStar audience.
Previous experience on a Breaking News desk or as a rewrite editor in a newsroom for a daily or weekly publication is preferred.
- Play a key role in the news-editing process by restructuring and/or rewriting news submissions to feature engaging headlines, informative introductory paragraphs and a complete, well-rounded account of the news topic for readers.
- Work closely with market-based research teams throughout the company, ensuring that news content is continuously posted and available for each of his or her assigned markets.
- From time to time, News Editors will also be expected to cover and report on news for their markets themselves, exercising news judgment to prioritize top stories, while confirming that the necessary updates are made to CoStar’s database to reflect the latest news.
- Correct grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Double-check that names, places and organizations are spelled properly and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- Confirm that news stories follow a style and format that meets CoStar News’ editorial policy and guidelines and that the reporter cited appropriate sources or research in news reports.
- Proofread captions for photos and charts in reports and check the source of images and other media included in reports to ensure they conform to appropriate use under any copyright.
- Collaborate with the CoStar’s news team to develop story ideas, diversify coverage and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
- Work with different news contributors throughout the company to offer comments and suggestions to improve stories and strengthen news reporting abilities.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Five or more years of proven news-editing or writing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication. Strong preference given to applicants with experience on a Breaking News desk or as a rewrite editor.
- Ideal candidates will be experienced reviewing, restructuring, rewriting and copy-editing a wide variety of news styles and formats, including straightforward hard news as well as effectively restructuring analytic pieces and market reports into an engaging news format.
- Have a demonstrated ability to craft engaging and informative news stories that highlight the most interesting aspects of the story and never “bury the lead.”
- Possess strong attention to detail with an obsession for eliminating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, improving readability and ensuring that all content is factually correct.
- A basic knowledge of U.S. commercial real estate and business is preferred.
- Results oriented with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working under deadline.
- Excellent headline- and cutline-writing skills, with a command of AP style and standards and a general knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, collaborative environment and manage both up and down the management chain and possess strong organizational and communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- College degree in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline preferred.
To apply, go here.