There is nothing more unpleasant than the bad odor from the wet carpet lying in your home. This could be by accidental spills or splashes, which are left unnoticed, along with all the dust and mud accumulated over time.
These Musty-smelling carpets are unpleasant and dangerous at the same time. Not only this makes the atmosphere of your home an unpleasant one, but it may also pollute your indoor air with mold spores. Whatever be it, it’s time to get rid of them.
If you think getting rid of musty smells from carpet consists of wasting a lot of time on it. Well, you may be surprised to know that it isn’t. In fact, it is relatively simple. Today we will be showing you different methods to neutralize odors from your carpet. If you are looking for how to get rid of wet carpet smell in car, This method is also effective.
The methods we mentioned here are simple yet very effective. So you don’t need to look elsewhere to find a solution on how to get rid of the wet carpet smell.
Methods to Getting Rid of Wet Carpet Smell
If you are wondering, “how do I get rid of wet carpet smell?” These all are the methods we have for you. This method can also figure out how to get rid of wet carpet odor in car.
- Using Vinegar, Water, and Baking Soda to Remove Odor
- Using Hydrogen Peroxide for removing odor
- Using the help of a foam Carpet Shampoo
Now that we know the methods, let’s look at how to get rid of wet carpet smell in basement by using these steps. Before that, we need to note some things.
How to Get Rid of Wet Carpet Smell in Room: Things to Note
Before looking into the steps about how to get rid of odor in wet carpet, we need to do some steps and gather some things to remove the odor. If your carpet was affected by any Flood, we suggest you take the help of an expert.
- You need to figure out if there is any water damage at first. If there is water damage, we suggest fixing it, then dry the area entirely – open windows and use dehumidifiers and fan, if necessary.
- Vacuum the carpet. This will remove dust and help to dissipate the odor faster. This will help you a lot further in removing the odor.
- Water, lots of water! (This will be required on every method we have mentioned here. So water is a must)
- Vinegar and baking soda (Required only if you are using the first method)
- Hydrogen Peroxide ( Use this if you are following Method two)
- Carpet Shampoo ( Use this if you go for the third method)
All set? Now let’s move on to the methods which will help you with “how do you get rid of wet carpet smell.”
Methods on How to Get Rid of Musty Smell From Wet Carpet:
If you are wondering how to get rid of wet carpet smell from car, don’t worry. You can try these methods to remove odor from car carpets also.
1. Using Vinegar, Water, and Baking Soda to Remove Odor
- Mix one cup of White Vinegar with two cups of water in a vessel.
- Gently apply it over the carpet using a spray bottle. Please make sure not to over saturate it.
- Pour an abundant amount of baking soda over it. Don’t worry about it; baking soda is safe for humans and pets.
- Wait for some time so that the natural deodorizers can take effect. The more you let the vinegar solution and baking soda to set, the better. We suggest you wait for some hours. If possible, leave it for the entire night so that it could result better.
- Dry the carpet if needed. After that, you will get an odor-free carpet.
2. Using Hydrogen Peroxide for Removing Odor
Another way to remove musty smells from your carpet is to use hydrogen peroxide
- Mix five parts water with one part hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle
- Apply the solution to the back of the carpet. This will help neutralize the odor and mold spores.
- Left it for some time
- to dry the carpet. You will get an odor-free carpet after that.
3. Using the Help of a Foam Carpet Shampoo
If you don’t prefer making any solutions and getting confused in its mixing, this is the method.
- Vacuum the carpet at first, even if it is not having any water damage.
- Apply the shampoo using a sponge to ensures you don’t oversaturate the carpet
- Let it dry for some time, and we suggest to let it there for a night.
- Vacuum the carpet again
We hope that this article has helped you with “how do you get rid of wet carpet smell.” If you have any doubts regarding how to get rid of musty smell from wet carpet, we suggest you go through the article again to check if you have missed any steps. If you cannot fix the issue or made any mistake, we suggest getting an expert’s help.